Italian Style Courgette Ravioli with mushrooms, spinach, ricotta
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 45 mins
4 as a starter or 2 as a main course
3 large courgettes (to make 12 courgette sheets)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 100g mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 100g ricotta cheese (or 100g Almond Milk Ricotta)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 350g jar tomato and herb pasta sauce
- 10-12 orange or red cherry tomatoes
- Grated Parmesan, to serve (or Vegan Parmesan)
- Fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- To prepare the courgette ravioli filling, heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and fry for 3-4 minutes then add the garlic and fry for a further 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, stirring, until tender. Stir in the spinach and cook for 1 minute until just wilted. Remove the pan from the heat and cool for 5 minutes then stir in the ricotta and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cut the courgettes into 6-7cm chunks and spiralise into sheets using Zyliss SpiraSlice sheet blade. Cut the sheets into 20cm long pieces – you’ll need 12 of these.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/ Gas Mark 6. Divide the tomato pasta sauce between two small ovenproof dishes (or one large one) and place on a baking sheet.
- To make the ravioli, place one courgette strip lengthways on a board. Top with a second courgette sheet, placed widthways on top to form a cross shape. Place a heaped spoonful of the filling in the centre of the ‘cross’ then fold the four end strips of courgette over to enclose the filling and make a square parcel. Repeat to make 6 parcels in total. Turn each ravioli parcel over and place 3 in each baking dish.
- Scatter over the cherry tomatoes and drizzle with the remaining oil. Season with freshly ground black pepper and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until just golden and bubbling. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan and garnished with basil leaves.